Friday, June 15, 2012

Remembering Dad

Dad's 46th birthday, June 15, 1956

  As I entered today's date and beginning mileage in my auto record book this morning, I was reminded that today is the 102nd anniversary of my dad's birth in Sodus, Michigan.
  Unfortunately for me (and the rest of my family), dad only lived another twelve years beyond the picture on the left.  We lost a wonderful dad and husband much too early in our lives.
  Several times, while I was growing up, dad's birthday anniversary fell on Father's Day (it's close this year).  Then, it was always a question of "do I get him a birthday present or a father's day present?"  Honestly, I don't remember HOW I resolved that issue :-)
  As Dad's birthday anniversary and Father's Day closely coincide again this year, I remember what a patient man my dad was.  Rarely did I ever hear him raise his voice in anger, tho' there were times when such action would have been justified.  I remember my dad as a man who wasn't afraid to tackle a difficult problem, whether it was to find a way to finance the new school that my home church built in 1952, or dig a water well next to the garage so my sibs and I could have a regular water fountain during the summer.  Dad encouraged me by way of example.  I'll never forget his words to me, right after my wife and I bought our first house in St Louis, and mom and dad came for a visit.  After supper, we walked around the property and dad took it all in.  Finally, he said, "Well, Bob, I think you and Margaret made a good deal!"  And that was his word of encouragement.
  I wish dad could have been with us many more years than he was.  I know I would have gained a lot more wisdom from him.  But, I'm grateful for the years he was my dad and for all I learned from him.
  Happy Birthday, Dad!

No comments: