Sunday, October 21, 2012

Concordia Milwaukee's "Second Life"



For more than 30 years, Columbus Day week has been special for me as I head to Northern Wisconsin to spend a few days with a former prep school classmate and roommate.  We go fishing (if the weather permits), or we just "hang out" together.  It's a time to reconnect with someone I've known for almost 60 years.

The route I take to his home does not vary.  Once I've driven thru Milwaukee, I take back highways thru the Wisconsin countryside, enjoying autumn's colors and taking pictures of old Wisconsin barns (slowly disappearing from the landscape).

But my FIRST stop on the trip is ALWAYS at my alma mater--Concordia College Milwaukee (of blessed memory)--between 32nd and 33rd, Kilbourn and State Streets in Milwaukee.  Tho' the campus moved to a north Milwaukee suburb many years ago, the plot of land just mentioned is still my alma mater.  I stop here each year to walk around the campus, to remember the wonderful six years I spent here, and the give thanks for friendships that began here and have lasted for almost 60 years; for professors who modeled the life of servants of Christ and of Christ's church; and for values that were shared and instilled in me.

After Concordia left its former campus, the property was purchased by the Potawatomi Indian tribe and converted into the Indian Community School.  Several years ago, the Potawatomis moved their school to a far southern area of Milwaukee.

 About 18 months ago, something exciting began to take place on Concordia's "old campus."  Renovation of Wunder Dorm; building a new Data Holding Center; and renovation of the old classroom building are underway.

When I stopped at "Concordia" the morning of October 8, I met a remarkable CEO by name of Pepi Randolph.  Pepi graciously took me on a tour of the entire campus, much to my delight.  As we toured Wunder Dorm (the 3rd floor of which is now the office for the Potawatomi Business Development Corp); Pritzlaff Dorms A, B & C; the Refectory; the Library; and, finally, the old classroom building... memories of my six years on that wonderful campus washed over me with fondness, emotion and much joy.

Augie Rehwaldt's biology lab... "Pips" Zanow's physics classroom and lab... Room 9, where "Keats" Hattstaedt taught us ancient history in our freshman year... the chapel where we gathered morning and evening for devotions... the faculty room... the Refectory where we ate our meals family style and had pie on Tuesdays and Fridays every week... the rooms in the basements of the dorms that were barber shops, game rooms, publications rooms... the new snack bar in the basement of Pritzlaff C.

As we walked through these buildings, and the rooms that were in them, I could hear the voices that once echoed in them--the profs and the students--and the "ghosts" of years gone by.  I told Pepi stories of what I remembered happening in those buildings.  The stories helped Pepi  understand the great history of Concordia's life in Milwaukee a bit more clearly.

I documented the tour of the campus with pictures of the work that is going on right now.  You may access those pictures here.  And, if you're interested in checking out some historical information about Concordia, you can go here.

And, if you happen to be in the Milwaukee area... are a graduate of Concordia's "old" campus... and want to see a work in progress...  stop at the campus, take the elevator in Wunder Dorm to the third floor, and ask the receptionist if you can meet Pepi.  He'll be glad you stopped!

No comments: